Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Homemade lotion

So I gave it a whirl, and attempted to make lotion. I think it turned out pretty good, not as thick as commercial brands, but it smells like vacation, and seems to do the job. Hubby doesn't like it though, he says it smells like apricots....sigh.

Here's what I did.
 I had gotten a shipment of cocoa butter, Shea butter, and ylang ylang essential oil the other day. So I wanted to mess around and see what I could do. I took a spoonful of coconut oil, a similar amount of Shea butter, a smidgen of cocoa butter, and 4 drops of the essential oil. heated it up for a few seconds in the microwave, mixed it up real good. I didn't think it was thick enough so I added some cornstarch until I had the right consistency. I then put it in a jelly jar and let it thicken on up. After you put a bit on, it is a bit greasy, because of the coconut oil, but its kind of nice on your legs, especially after shaving. Like I said it smells wonderful to me. The girls tried it, said it smelled like cake.



 Ive been playing with straight coconut oil in my hair also, and it has been a godsend. No more frizz ! :)



After playing with the ingredients, I think a simple shea butter ,cocoa butter mix would be sufficient. Just mix equal parts and warm slowly, mixing well every so often. This is much thicker, more like a body butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment